In association with the meta-blog Weekend.com.sg

The best of travel stories in and around Singapore

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Partner in Crime

Whenever I get down, such as when thinking about home, a small child-like voice reminds me from the deep recesses of my skull that no matter how bad I think things are: "You're still a healthy 22 year old man who is living in another country and constructing the ground floor to the skyscraper of your life. Built upon the solid foundation of your upbringing, you are now able to grab life by the balls and wander the world."

Thank you voice.

Samantha came to visit me this past week and the thought of trying to snatch the butterfly of those memories in a net, makes me feel like a paraplegic reaching futilely for the box of cereal atop the refrigerator. It's impossible for me now boil those days, hours, and minutes down to the juicy details as I've done in previous posts.

All I can say is that having "a partner in crime" is one of the most wholesome reminders of the connectivity of human life. Being able to share the hidden gems I've been panhandling for months to unearth unleashes a childlike sense of pride as I strut about pontificating about this and that. Casually, I explain that this is the best place in Taipei for beef noodle, a traditional dish that captures the soul of the country in it's spicy broth. Or pausing to mention, in my best impression of a museum tour guide, that Taipei 101 is currently the tallest finished building in the world who's title is being challenged by a building under construction in Dubai that will be hundreds of feet higher.

I don't even flinch anymore while walking the crowded thoroughfares of the afternoon market where scooters, cars, bicycles and buses share the road with a mob of men, women and children. The thought of stopping to pause, while an entire family and their groceries squeaks by me by three smog choked inches on a sagging scooter, does not even occur to me anymore.


While passing a small stand where a butcher is preparing a hog, I calmly point her gaze in the direction of the shirtless man as he hacks through the thick neck of the beast, with sweat gleaming on his chest and belly as his arm comes down in smooth practiced strokes until the head can be tugged easily aside of the body.

These sights seem commonplace to me now and I forget the bewildering effect it can have on a first time viewer. I can only hope that I didn't forever scar Sam's view of the culture with my favorite shock and awe segments of the tour. Though, I am willing to doubt this as her enthusiasm to try nearly anything I put before her was reassuring. She is a bold explorer in her own right and I am glad to be able to say I shared the experience of her first trip across the Pacific.

* * *

To anyone and everyone who wonders what it would be like to live on an often forgotten island off the coast of China, feel free to drop me a line. I have three couches and lots of adventure to share, so don't be afraid to ask.


No comments:

Post a Comment